Philadelphia and Town Watch12 Dec 2012 01:45 pm

Information Bulletin from the 3rd POLICE DISTRICT

2600 Lawrence St.

On 11/19/12, at 12:35 PM, The complainant (82 W/F) stated her husband answered a knock at the door and allowed a B/M into the house posing as a Water Department employee. The offender is described as a B/M, 5’8”, black hat and leather jacket, red shirt.

1300 Titan St.

On 12/01/12, at 2:46 PM, The complainant (91 W/F) stated a W/M knocked on her door and stated he was from PECO and that he needed to check her electric. Nothing was taken. The offenders were described as #1 – W/M, 35yrs, 5’8”, stocky build, clean shaven, brown hair. #2 – W/F, 35 yrs, 5’6”, heavy set wearing a baseball cap.

900 Cantrell St.

On 12/05/12 at 11:00 AM, The complainant (86 W/F) stated she allowed a W/M into her house after he identified himself as a PECO employee. The offender was described as a W/M, 50 yrs old, 6’0”, 200 lbs, glasses, all black clothing, clean shaven, gloves.

900 Dickinson St.

On 12/10/12, at 4:32PM, The complainant (65 W/F) stated she allowed the offenders; 3 – H/M’s, inside her house after they identified themselves as Water Department employees. The offenders fled in a black SUV that was parked on Dickinson St, nothing taken. The offenders were described as #1- H/M, 5’3”, 28yrs, med build, orange reflection vest, #2- H/M, 5’3”, thin build, orange reflection vest, #3- H/M, 5’3”, medium build, orange reflection vest.

Please forward any information to South Detectives 215-686-3013 of males matching the listed descriptions, check on your elderly neighbors & call 911 in you see anything suspicious

P/O Michael Duffy #7441
Philadelphia Police Department
3rd District Crime Prevention Officer

Philadelphia16 Oct 2012 09:57 am

Information from the 3rd POLICE DISTRICT

Halloween is only two weeks away and, if your a parent, chances are your little “goblins” and “ghouls” are ready for a night filled with candy and fun. However, for parents, trick-or-treat time can also mean concerns for your child’s safety on Halloween night. By following a few simple safety precautions (courtesy of the National Crime Prevention Council in conjunction with National Crime Prevention Month, 2012), and taking some time to discuss them with your children before they venture out, you can ensure that you and your family enjoy a happy, healthy and safe Halloween!

To ensure that trick-or-treaters, you, and your house stay safe, remember the following tips:

  • Clear your yard and sidewalk of any obstacles or decorations that may be hard to see in the dark, lest someone go bump in the night.
  • Keep your house well lighted, both inside and out; you wouldn’t want to miss any particularly good costumes, would you?
  • Ask your Neighborhood Watch or local citizen’s group to haunt (patrol) your community.
  • Report any suspicious or criminal activity to your police department.

To make sure even the scariest costumes are safe, keep the following in mind when buying or designing one:

  • Try makeup instead of masks; it’s more comfortable and doesn’t obstruct vision the way masks can.
  • Check to ensure that costumes are flame-retardant so that young ones are safe around jack-o’-lanterns, candles, and other flames.
  • Keep costumes short to ensure that the only trip taken is the one around the neighborhood.
  • Look for brightly colored costumes, attach reflector strips to costumes and bags, and remind trick-or-treaters to carry glow sticks and flashlights.
  • If a costume involves any sort of fake weapon, make sure that it is made of a flexible material such as cardboard or foam. Or, avoid the whole problem of weapons by challenging your child to design a costume that is scary without one.

 Keep in mind the next few tips to make sure your trick-or-treaters night in the neighborhood will be safe and fun:

  • Older kids should trick-or-treat in groups; kids walking around alone are never as safe as those in groups, and especially not at night. Younger kids should be accompanied by a parent or trusted neighbor.
  • Review the route for trick-or-treating beforehand and set a time set when kids should be home. Also, have a plan if your child gets separated from his or her friends or from you.
  • Remind your children not to enter strange houses or cars.  

After a successful and safe night around the neighborhood, remember that the treats still need scrutiny before anyone eats them:

  • Remind your children not to eat treats until they’ve come home. To help ensure this, feed them a meal or a substantial snack before they go out.
  • Check all treats at home in a well-lighted place. Be especially wary of anything that is not wrapped by the factory or that is no longer sealed.
  • Remind kids not to eat everything at once, lest they be green even without the makeup.

Follow these few simple tips to ensure that you and your children enjoy a happy, healthy and safe Halloween!


 For more information on Halloween safety, visit the National Crime Prevention Council at

See something? Say Something.

For more information, contact the South Street Station:

P/O Mike Cermignano # 4034, (215) 922-6706 or e-mail



Philadelphia03 Sep 2012 05:58 pm

Information from the City Council of Philadelphia
Mark Squilla
Councilman, 1st District

This guide is information for persons seeking to obtain a valid photo ID pursuant to Pennsylvania’s new Voter ID law. All voters participating in the November 6, 2012 election and thereafter must have valid identification. More information regarding elections is available at or

*All information courtesy of Committee of Seventy.


What photo IDs are acceptable?

1. PA Driver’s License – Valid or expired less than 12 months at voting time.

2. ID issued by PennDOT – Valid or expired less than 12 months at voting time.

3. U.S. Passport – Must have an expiration date that is after 11/6/12.

4. Military ID – Active Duty or retired U.S. military ID, including an ID for members of the PA National Guard - No expiration date required.

5. Military Dependent’s ID – Must have an expiration date that is after 11/6/12.

6. Employee ID – Issued by federal, PA, PA county or PA municipal government. (A School District employee ID is not acceptable.) Must have an expiration date that is after 11/6/12.

7. University ID – Issued by an accredited PA university, college, seminary, community college or two-year college to students, faculty, employees and alumni. Must have an expiration date that is after 11/6/12.

8. PA Care Facility ID – (such as a long-term care nursing facility, assisted living residence or a personal care home). Must have an expiration date that is after 11/6/12.


Voters with religious objection to being photographed.

Must present a currently valid non-photo driver’s license or other non-photo ID issued by PennDOT. These IDs must be currently valid or expired less than 12 months at voting time. Does the address on a photo ID need to match the address where you are registered to vote? No. The voter ID law does not require an address on your photo ID to match where you are registered to vote.


How can voters obtain a photo ID?

Voters must go to a PennDOT Driver’s License Center to obtain one. The center does not need to be in your home county. Getting a photo ID for voting is free of charge. Required Documentation – 5 items:

1. Application for Photo ID – Form DL-54A, which is available at PennDOT centers, and can also be downloaded by going to:

2. Oath/Affirmation - that (1) he/she is a registered PA voter, (2) he/she does not have any photo ID that will be acceptable at the polls, and (3) he/she requires proof of identification for voting purposes. Also available at PennDOT centers or by downloading at: ( *Penalty for giving false information, fine of at least $1,000,or imprisonment.

3. Social Security card, and

4. Official birth certificate (with a raised seal), certificate of U.S. citizenship, certificate of naturalization or a valid U.S. passport,* and

If you are already in PennDOT system, regardless of expiration, there is no need to have a birth certificate. Also see section regarding birth certificates on page 5.

5. Two proofs of residency, such as a lease agreement, mortgage documents, W-2 form, tax records or current utility bill.


What happens if an eligible voter does not have two proofs of residency?

1. Voter can bring a parent with a Pennsylvania driver’s license or non driver’s photo ID to any PennDOT Driver’s License Center. This will “count” as one proof of residency.

2. As a second proof of residency, the voter can bring a bank statement, paystub or a credit card bill as long as the address matches the address on the parent’s driver’s license or non-driver’s photo ID.

*According to the State Department, if the voter does not have any of these documents, PennDOT will work with the voter to establish the second proof of residency. For example, PennDOT will also accept invoices from doctors’ offices, magazine subscriptions, or cell phone bills.


What if you have an expired driver’s, or a non-driver’s, license photo ID?

1. If expired anytime after 1990, proof of his/her identity is most likely already in PennDOT’s database. In that case, the voter does not have to bring all of the identifying documents.

2. Before going to PennDOT, a voter should call 1-800-932-4600 to make sure his/her information is in the database.


How much does it cost to get a photo ID for voting?

1. Photo IDs for voting purposes are free of charge.

2. Voters should say they need a photo ID for voting when they arrive at a PennDOT Driver’s License Center. Otherwise, the voter could be charged $13.50 – which is what it costs to get a non-driver’s photo ID.


Do voters born in Pennsylvania have to show a birth certificate?

1. Most voters who were born in Pennsylvania do not have to get an official birth certificate in order to get a photo ID for voting. PA-born voters can fill out Form HD01564F (Request for Certification of Birth Record for Voter ID Purposes Only), at a PennDOT Center, or downloaded by going to:

2. Ask a PennDOT representative to forward the request to the PA Department of Health (which houses the Division of Vital Records) to certify the voter’s birth record. This process can take up to 10 days and is FREE.

3. If the voter’s birth record can be certified he/she will get a letter back confirming this and also told when they can pick up their voter ID for voting.

The voter can bring this letter to a PennDOT Driver’s License Center to use in place of an official birth certificate (with a raised seal).

Voter must still complete a Form DL-54A (Application for an Initial Photo Identification Card) and the Oath/Affirmation that he/she is a registered PA voter, does not have an acceptable form of photo ID and needs one in order to vote, as well as bring a Social Security card and two proofs of residency.

*NOTE: This process requires making two trips to a PennDOT: One trip to fill out Form HD01564F to get certification of a Pennsylvania birth certificate and a second to actually get the photo ID for voting. 6

4. Pennsylvania birth certificates purchased for voter ID purposes after March 14, 2012 (date voter ID law went into effect) can apply for a refund by visiting one of the Pennsylvania Department of Health’s six regional offices.

Must show proof that he/she purchased a birth certificate after March 14, as well as the photo ID for voting obtained from a PennDOT.

Will receive a refund in the mail. Information on the Department of Health’s regional offices can be found here:


How can voters get a birth certificate if they need or want one?

Most voters who were born in Pennsylvania do not need to get an official birth certificate. However, if the voter wants an official (hard) copy of his/her birth certificate, or needs to get one, here is what to do:

1. Who - Only certain people can request a birth certificate:

a. Person named on the birth certificate, who is 18 years of age or older (if under 18, an immediate family member must apply)

b. Legal representative

c. Husband/wife

d. Parent/step-parent*

e. Brother/sister/half-brother/half-sister

f. Son/daughter/stepson*/stepdaughter*

g. Grandparent/great grandparent (specify maternal or paternal) Grandchild/great grandchild

h. Power of Attorney (for person named on birth certificate or immediate family member listed above) *A step-parent or step-child is required to submit parents’ marriage record supporting their relationship.

2. Cost – $10. Except for the birth record certification request outlined in Question G. above – No fee for veterans or active military or their dependents.

3. Where - Can be requested online, by mail or in person.

a. Mail requests are processed in approximately fourteen weeks from the date of receipt.

b. Online requests are faster: Approximately 15 to 18 business days or less.

c. Regular mail delivery: Approximately 25 to 30 business days or less.

4. Power of Attorney - An individual who has been given the power of attorney can obtain birth certificates for a group of voters. Must submit an application packet to the Division of Vital Records enclosed with (1) a request typed on the individual’s letterhead, (2) an application for certified copies of the birth certificates being sought, (3) a copy of the individual’s photo ID, (4) a copy of a Release of Information Authorization, and (5) $10 cash or check for each birth certificate being sought.

5. Same Day - Voters who want a birth certificate the same day can go to a Division of Vital Records office in Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton. There is a two hour processing time during the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Processing requests made between 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. can take three hours.

6. Location - The Division of Vital Records office in Philadelphia is located at 118 North 8th Street, Suite 108, Philadelphia, PA 19107-2412. The phone number is 215-560-3054.


To get information on requesting a PA birth certificate, or the location of Division of Vital Records offices across the state, call the Division of Vital Records at 1-724-656-3100 or go to:


How can voters born outside Pennsylvania get a birth certificate?

Other states have different procedures for obtaining a birth certificate. Voters who were born outside of Pennsylvania should visit: to find out how to obtain a birth certificate.


How can voters prove name changes?

Voters whose names have changed should bring documents to the PennDOT Driver’s License Center that “connect” the names. *For example, if the voter got married or divorced, the voter should bring a marriage certificate or a divorce decree when getting a photo ID for voting. Voters who cannot “connect” the name they are now using with the name on their birth certificate may run into problems getting a photo ID for voting.


Where can voters get a Social Security card?

Voters can call the federal Social Security Administration office at 1-800-772-1213 or by going to: Required Information:

1. Two documents to prove age, identity, and U.S. citizenship.

The Social Security Administration office must see one of the following:

a. A U.S. passport b. A state-issued driver’s license c. A state-issued non-driver’s ID card. If a voter does not have one of the documents, and cannot get a replacement for one of these within 10 days, Social Security will ask to see one of the following:

An employee identification card/badge

Health insurance card (not a Medicare card) or Medicaid card

U.S. military identification

U.S. government identification card

Certificate of Naturalization

Certificate of U.S. Citizenship

U.S. Indian Tribal card (Social Security has to approve this)

Certified copy of a medical record

School identity card, certified record, or transcript (current year) Life insurance policy


Obtaining or replacing a Social Security card is free.

The Social Security Administration says that processing an application for a Social Security card can take seven to 14 days.


Where can voters find a PennDOT Driver’s License Center?

To find the location of Driver’s License Centers, service information and hours of operation, go to: or call: 1. In-State: 1-800-932-4600 2. Out-of-State (if calling from a non-PA area code): 1-717-412-5300 3. Hearing Impaired (In-State): 1-800-228-0676 (TDD) 4. Hearing Impaired (Out-of-State): 1-717-412-5380 (TDD) Voters can go to any PennDOT Driver’s License Center.


What happens if a voter can’t afford to get a photo ID for some reason?

Voter allowed to vote by provisional (paper) ballot.

Voter can sign affirmation provisional ballot because he/she could not afford to get one.

Voter can sign the affirmation and turn it in along with his/her voted provisional ballot at the polling place.

If the voter chooses not to turn in the affirmation on Election Day at the polls, he/she has six calendar days after the election to submit the affirmation to his/her county Board of Elections.

This can be done electronically, by mail, by fax – or in person at the county Board of Elections. Provisional ballots of voters who do not comply within six calendar days after the election will not count. * Note: Because six calendar days after the November 6 election falls on Monday, November 12 – and government offices are closed for Veterans’ Day – the deadline for provisional ballot voters to provide information to their county Boards of Elections is Tuesday, November 13.


What happens if a voter has an acceptable photo ID but forgets to bring it to the polls?

Voter must vote by provisional (paper) ballot. Voter has six calendar days after the election to provide his/her county Board of Elections with the affirmation form he/she signed at the polls along with a copy of his/her proof of identification (i.e., the identification he/she would have brought to the polls had he/she not forgotten to do so). Can do this electronically, by mail, by fax – or show up in person at the county Board of Elections. Provisional ballots of voters who do not comply within six calendar days after the election will not count.


Where is the Philadelphia County Board of Elections?

The Philadelphia County Board of Elections is located at: 510 North Delaware Avenue, 5th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19123. Provisional ballot voters who want to go in person to the county Board of Elections can also go to: City Commissioners Room 142 in City Hall.

For a list of County Boards of Elections around the state, go to 11


Philadelphia Driver & Vehicle 2999 Welsh Road, Philadelphia, PA (215) 464-9950 PennDOT Photo & Exam Center 1530 S. Columbus Blvd. Philadelphia, PA 19147 (215) 551-5438 PennDot Photo & Exam Center 801 Arch ST. Philadelphia, PA 19107 (800) 932-4600

PennDOT Photo & Exam Center 2320 Island Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19153 (215) 937-1351 PennDOT Photo & Exam Center 7121 Ogontz Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19138 (800) 932-4600 MARK SQUILLA COUNCILMAN, 1ST DISTRICT 332 CITY HALL 686-3458/59 (E-mail:

Philadelphia and Town Watch30 Jul 2012 09:58 pm

Information from the Philadelphia Police Department 3rd District

Officers will be warning Bicyclist until Labor Day then Traffic Citations will be issued to violators.  

  • Under the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Code, a bicycle being ridden on the street IS considered a vehicle, and as such riders are subject to the same “rules of the road” as any other motorist.
  •  Not only are riders expected to follow the provisions of the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Code when riding their bicycle on the highway (such as stopping at stop signs and red signals, riding the correct way on one way streets, yielding to pedestrians in the crosswalk and even speed restrictions), riders are subject to the same penalties as motorists. Police Officers CAN issue traffic violations to riders who are observed breaking the law.
  •  Riders CAN face the same civil penalties as a motorist if their actions result in an accident or injury.
  •  Riders also CAN face the same criminal penalties as a motorist! Not only does this include possible charges if their actions result in property damage or injury to another, this also includes D.U.I. If an Officer determines a rider is operating a bicycle while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, they CAN be arrested and charged with D.U.I. under the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Code.
  •  Riders are expected to utilize the roadway and follow traffic patterns like any other vehicle, however the City of Philadelphia has enacted a special ordinance designed to protect pedestrians on the sidewalk. It states that “no person 12 years of age or more shall ride a bicycle upon any sidewalk in any district.” It also states “whenever any person is riding on the sidewalk” (after exiting the roadway and reaching your destination) “such person shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrian.” A Police Officer CAN issue a traffic violation with a fine of $55.50 to riders observed violating this ordinance.


Philadelphia Police Department Warning (example)

This warning has been issued to you for the violation as shown below.

It has been issued at the officer’s discretion as a courtesy in lieu of a

Summons to court. Your future compliance with state law is requested.

DATE                          LOCATION



DOB                                   TELEPHONE NUMBER


*Failure to wear helmet MVC 3510

*Failure to ride on proper side of road MVC 3505

*Disregard stop sign MVC 3501

*Disregard traffic light MVC 3501

*Bicycle not equipped with proper equipment MVC 3507

*Reflector and/or lights MVC 3507.a

*Audible Signal Device MVC 3507.b

*Brakes MVC 3507.c

OFFICER             BADGE                    POLICE DISTRICT

Pennsylvania law requires all children under the age of 12 to wear an

ANSI or SNELL, ASTM, CPSC approved bicycle helmet when operating,

or riding a passenger, on a bicycle, tricycle or other pedal cycle.



Philadelphia06 Jul 2012 08:12 pm

The Philadelphia Water Department recently announced its proposal to seek rate changes, beginning October 1, 2012.

Five public hearings have been scheduled to provide customers with an overview of PWD’s programs and services and an opportunity to comment and ask questions. These are open to all members of the public. The Water Department will give a brief presentation about the rate increase process and will be available to answer questions. Food and refreshemets will also be avialable! Here’s the schedule:

When:   Monday, July 9, 2012, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
Where: Philadelphia Senior Center, 509 S. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19147
*Spanish Language and Sign interpreter will be present
*meeting will be streaming live at

When:    Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Where:   Roxborough Memorial Hospital, Wolcoff Auditorium, 5800 Ridge Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19128

When:   Thursday, July 12, 2012, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Where:  Holy Family University, Campus Center Conference Room 115, 9801 Frankford Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19114

When:    Monday, July 16, 2012, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Where:   YMCA North Philadelphia, 1400 N. Broad Street (Broad and Master Sts), Philadelphia, PA 19121
*Spanish language interpreter will be present

When:     Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Where:    White Rock Baptist Church, 5240 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19139

Philadelphia02 Jul 2012 10:58 am

PECO News Release

PHILADELPHIA (June 28, 2012) – PECO is urging customers to be aware of a scam that has made its way across the United States and now into the Philadelphia area. The scam, which has been reportedly taking place through social media, text message, telephone, and U.S. Mail, claims that United States President Barack Obama is providing funding to help customers pay their utility bills.

As part of the scam, customers are being asked to provide their social security numbers and other personal identification information. The scam alleges that a payment will be made, from a Federal Reserve bank account directly to their electric or natural gas account.

“We want to make our customers aware of this scam and any potential issues so they can protect themselves from becoming victims of identity theft and other fraudulent activities,” said Mark Alden, PECO vice president of Customer Operations.

PECO offers these tips to help customers avoid falling for the scam:

Never provide your social security number, or banking or credit card information over the phone, unless you have initiated the call.
• If you receive a call allegedly from PECO and are pressured for immediate payment or for personal information, hang up and call PECO directly at 1-800-494-4000.
• Never provide anyone access to your home who claims to be from PECO, or a contractor working for PECO, unless the visit has been scheduled and the person has proper identification. Customers can always contact the company at 1-800-494-4000 to confirm an official visit.

PECO customers who have been contacted regarding this scam are asked to call PECO immediately at 1-800-494-4000 to report the incident. PECO’s Security Group will work with local authorities to investigate the incident.

Event and Philadelphia01 Jul 2012 09:07 am

Event registration closes Friday, August 3 at midnight.

Saturday, October 13

Show the city, region, and country what the creative community in Passyunk Square is doing.  On Saturday October 13th, the five day 2012 DesignPhiladelphia festival will focus entirely on South Philly and East Passyunk and they’re looking for individuals and organizations from every design discipline to represent our vibrant area.  Be a part of DP 2012 by registering a unique event.  Create a hands-on workshop, an extraordinary exhibition, stimulating lecture or panel discussion, fashion show, design tour, or a street happening.

Whatever your event is…

Since 2005, DesignPhiladelphia has developed a nationally recognized, open participation festival program that offers a view into Philadelphia’s creative industries at work.  Through its programming, DP demonstrates, supports, and promotes the ability that design has to influence the perception and economics of the region. This year’s festival will run October 10-14, 2012.

For more information or to register an event email Jackie Starker ( and visit

Beautification and Philadelphia and Planning01 Jul 2012 08:29 am

A mix of stormwater trenches, sidewalk planters and rain gardens will be installed on various blocks in Passyunk Square, after a collaboration with the Philadelphia Water Department identified community members that were eager to see greening projects on their block.  The projects will help green and beautify the blocks, but will also help manage stormwater which can cause flooding and degrade our waterways.

The projects will be located on:
REED ST from 12TH ST to 13TH ST S

PSCA is also participating in PWD’s RainCheck program, which will allow residents to split costs with PWD for green infrastructure improvements to their property that will help manage stormwater.

If you have ideas for other areas where a green stormwater management project could be conducted, fill out the Community Input form here and also let us know by emailing

Philadelphia11 Jun 2012 10:01 pm

News From the City of Philadelphia

On June 1, 2012, Mayor Nutter and the City of Philadelphia launched the Philadelphia Homestead Exemption for all homeowners in Philadelphia. A Homestead Exemption means that if you own your home, you can qualify for a reduction of your home’s tax assessment, and therefore reduce your tax bill.

Although legislation is still pending for the approval of the program, you are encouraged to apply, as it will help reduce the taxable assessed value used for calculation of your tax bill. The program’s only requirement is that the property is your primary residence. There are NO requirements related to age, income or length of homeownership. To be eligible, you must own your own home and live in it, and complete the Homestead Exemption application by JULY 31, 2012.

The application is simple and takes only minutes to complete.  Applications and additional information about the Homestead will be mailed out to all Philadelphia homeowners by late June and is available online now at Applications are due July 31, 2012. You can reach the application directly at

After an application has been approved, you do not need to reapply each year unless the deed to the home changes. Applications received after the deadline for this year will be considered for tax year 2014.

In addition to qualifying for the Homestead Exemption on your property, you may also qualify for additional programs that can help reduce your real estate taxes, including programs for those who meet income qualifications, are over age 65, or have a disability. More details about these programs can be found online at or by calling 311.

Additional Links:

« Previous PageNext Page »